A Balancing Act

Welcome to high school, 7X! You might find it a bit tricky at first, but I know you will master all the critical information very quickly. Last year was harder. We had just changed all the room numbers, so even the teachers kept getting lost. At least this year we should be able to help you out if you are wandering in a panic around the school, wondering where you should be.

Boy on donkey JB

***Other kids have balancing acts too!***

(Photo taken by John Bayley during his recent trip to Egypt. He’s my brilliant photographer friend, who should be working for National Geographic. He travels and I stay home. For some reason I think he’s happier about the arrangement than I am!)

All the same, you will find that you need to balance all the conflicting demands of your subject teachers, new friends and family life this year. For most of you, this will be part of the fun. There will never be a dull moment (except, perhaps, in a history class when I talk for far too long).

Now, about History. We start with Stones and Bones. That’s prehistory, archaeology and the Stone Age.

Egypt in Stones jBAnother shot from the lens of John Bayley

Next, we move to ancient Egypt (you could call it Peasants and Pyramids, or Mummies and Mud-brick, or Pharaohs and Floods). Then there is ancient Greece OR ancient Rome. You have a choice there. It’s the only time I allow a little bit of democracy. Most of the time I’m a typical teacher autocrat. Be warned.

Pyramid and camel JBPhoto by John Bayley

Finally, we move on to the medieval period: Benedictines and Buboes, perhaps, or Battles and Battlements. You know the kind of thing.

About this blog: you can go back into the deep past and see what other students have done and achieved before you. You can try their quizzes, look at their assignments and read up on topics they have covered. You can also see what we are doing now very easily by reading the most recent post or the homework box on the top left. You may also like to leave a comment, ask a question, suggest a website, or educate us all about history, school or life. Make sure your comments are thoughtful, constructive and entertaining.

If you do leave a comment, never put your family name in it. We use only first names and I avoid referring to our school too. This blog is private; you can only find it through the address, not through google searches. So when you get home, bookmark it or add it to your favourites so that you can find it. Whenever you leave a comment, as if by magic I receive an email. I can write a response to a question to you individually or to the blog, whatever you wish. All part of the service! Of course, some comments are for others to read and require no response from me.

Now, have a brilliant year and I hope the balancing act of Year 7 is a challenge, a thrill and a joy for you all. It is part of the pleasure of being a teacher that I get to observe my year sevens as they settle in and begin to show their humour, wit and confidence in their new setting.

Kind regards,

Ros/Ms Green.