A lucky history teacher

Ros in jumperGosh, I’m lucky.

Every year I get a bunch of bright, questioning students for whom History is a new subject. Sure, they’ve learned history in primary school, they’ve read some “Horrible History” books and they’ve watched some gruesome documentaries. They know plenty. But I get to be their first History teacher. I am the one who discovers their lively minds, harnesses their curiosity, delves into their already considerable knowledge, regales them with my favourite stories of the past and introduces them to the secrets, what-ifs and endless possibilities of History. How lucky can a teacher be?

Could this be the site for a ritual self-mummification?

Sometimes I have a fear that the school administration, in its unfathomable wisdom, will take my year sevens away from me. I imagine what kind of tantrum a history teacher might throw, in such circumstances. Would I perform a ritual self-mummification in the quadrangle? Would I start a one-woman demonstration, holding a placard with the words, “Teacher’s rights violated”? I can certainly picture myself grovelling in the principal’s office. “Please,” I would beg. “Please don’t take those little tackers away from me.”

I bet you don’t think that you’re little tackers. But you will feel that way for a little while at your new school. The senior students are so BIG. I even find them big. Don’t worry. This school is a wonderful, friendly place. I’ve been here for ever and I never want to leave. I hope you’ll feel the same. At least for six years…

Ancient stones revealing ancient secrets...
Ancient stones revealing ancient secrets... (Photo kindly provided by Mrs McQueen)

Hmm, now about History. We start out with the dawn of humankind. I love that phrase. We meander through the Stone Age. We visit ancient Egypt. Ancient Greece and ancient Rome are also a couple of bus-stops along the way. I mean chariot-stops. Then we go to medieval Europe. You know, peasants aplenty, knights, castles, rotten sanitation, plague, crusades, a semi-constant state of war. It’s messy but fascinating. I hope you like it all as much as I do.

Don’t forget, your job is to ask questions I have never thought of, to find out information not already in my dwindling memory, to delve into the past with all the passion of a thinker, a philosopher and archaeologist. Picture yourself with a mental shovel. Start digging!

Oh, and have a great time at high school, S1X!

Kind regards,

Ros Green, your lucky History teacher

2 Replies to “A lucky history teacher”

1. I have been having loads of fun at Box Hill!!! The teachers here are all really nice, I almost never get lost, and I have some awesome train buddies!!!

2. ditto to Emma!! Nah, I like it here at Box Hill. It’s really fun and it’s better that primary school, just don’t tell the teachers at Selby that! Ms Green is a fantastic home group and history teacher.