Hello, 7E!

Avatar RoslynDear 7E,

Every year I feel lucky when I meet my history classes. They are witty, curious, thoughtful and creative. You are no exception. You have all these qualities – and more.

I have already heard some fascinating stories about your personal histories and I hope that you will enjoy this semester with me.

On this blog:

•you can discover work that has been completed by my students in the past

•there’s information about the Night of Notables, the project that you will be doing this semester

•there are  many quizzes and vocabulary “Quizlets” that you can try out

•I often upload revision and assignment details, particularly for those students who wake in panic, realising that they have left everything at school and desperately need that test revision handout…

Below there are a couple of activities to get you started. These quizzes will help you to get used to some of the vocabulary used in history. In this subject you will need to learn and use many new words. I always teach the words as well as the stories, the facts and the opinions of history. I want you to be able to say to your parents at the dinner table:

In prehistoric times, the development of agriculture was a catalyst for many other important developments in human existence. For instance, farmers and herders could gradually abandon their nomadic way of life as hunter-gatherers and settle in one place. This led ultimately, perhaps inexorably, to a division of labour, complex social hierarchies and significant cultural achievements, such as writing and great feats of architecture.”

Imagine the looks on your parents’ faces. They will choke on their asparagus and stare at you with a mixture of horror and pride. “Huh?” they will say. “Can you repeat that?” 

Your task today is very straightforward: work through the words in the Quizlet, then try the little “story quiz”.

Kind regards,

Ms Green

One Reply to “Hello, 7E!”

1. Learning about the Neanderthals has been an interesting task, it intrigued me in many ways and this has taught me a lot. The Neanderthals were similar to us yet also quite different.
    Neanderthals were a species of human that lived from approximately 200,000 years ago until they become extinct about 30,000 years ago. They had a differently shaped ribcage, so they didn’t have a waist. Furthermore, this weirdly shaped ribcage would have helped them to sustain more body heat during the ice ages. They may have had a high-pitched voice and they were shorter, stronger and more heavily built than modern humans. Their heads showed that they did not have prominent chins and that their foreheads sloped backwards. They also had a larger brain than ours by 20%. Their hunting method was a silent ambush; they used the forest as coverage in order to thrust their weapons at the target. They were well adapted to the cold, but when climate changes caused the forest where they hunted to diminish, they may not have been so well adapted to the new environment.