Anglo-Saxon Riddles by Modern English Speakers

Dear S2Z,

You would have been outstanding contributors to the life of the Angles, Saxons and Jutes. I like to think that you have taken their words and turned them into modern riddles that are just as mysterious, beautiful, poetic and creative as the originals.

Kind regards,

Ms Green

Download: Rubric for assignment

Here are your riddles, with answers at the bottom:

1   I run swiftly, never stopping and never circling back to where I began. I help those around me by giving them part of myself for sustenance. I run in all seasons, over rocks and sand, but never grass. What is my name?   – by Grace

2  I have seen many things. I can travel the world whilst staying in one place. You rip me up and chuck me away, but you will see me again the next day. I am loyal, for I will go wherever you tell me. I travel on the roads and in the sky but never need a licence. I spy on many conversations but never get caught.   – by Dheran

3  I am not alive, yet I tell you things. I have no mind, yet I ask you a question. People try to work me out. In fact, they are probably doing that right now. What am I?  – by Liam B

4  I drift endlessly without life. I live to serve my final purpose, which is sometimes a blessing, sometimes a tragedy. From afar I am grand, from nearby I am almost invisible. – by Megan

5  When I’m nearby, you don’t notice me. When I’m gone, you panic. I have teeth but I don’t bite. You need me when you go out. Something bad will happen if you don’t have me. – by Ming

rat by Phyllis
Phyllis’s beautiful drawing of a black rat – from her assignment on the Black Death. Published with her permission.

Solutions to the Riddles

1 A brook   2 A stamp   3 A riddle   4 A cloud   5 A key